HEAD TO THE NEW AUNTIE BULGARIA SITE

My photo
AUNTIE BULGARIA NOW HAS A PROUD NEW HOME AT www.auntiebulgaria.com. PLEASE HEAD THERE FOR ALL THE AUNTIE BULGARIA CONTENT, OLD AND NEW.

Sunday 22 May 2016

100. Thanks for stopping by

The more I watch Steve Carell's jump, the funnier it gets.

Well, there you have it. I’ve blogged every day for a week. That’s more posts than I wrote in the whole of 2014. I’m slightly ashamed of that. I can’t imagine what I was doing in 2014 that was so important. All I ever do is work, garden and watch The Walking Dead. I doubt 2014 was any different.

I was a little out of love with the blog for a while. In the beginning, there was so much stuff to write about: the maddening bureaucracy of buying a house, macho builders, donkeys and goats everywhere, etc. Then we settled in and it started to feel like normal life. Then I went freelance and, through fear of being destitute, accepted every piece of work offered to me for a year. (Aha! That’s what I was doing in 2014. It’s all coming back now.) And I always felt guilty for not updating the blog more often. It was like a sad, neglected puppy in an RSPCA advert. ‘Why don’t you love me anymore?’ the blog would whine. ‘I’m like the piano lessons, the clarinet lessons, and the French A-level, aren’t I? You got bored, didn’t you?’ ‘Shut up, blog!’ I would shout. ‘Shut up or I’ll hit you with my newspaper.’

But that all changed towards the end of last year. I was ill and not working much and I decided, on a total whim, to do NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) – where you write a 50,000-word novel in the month of November. Writing a novel in 30 days is an insane thing to do, but it’s really fun, in an obsessive, competitive way (which, let’s be honest, is my favourite kind of way). When the month was up and the novel was finished, I found I didn’t want to stop writing. And the blog said, hey, remember me?

So, yeah, I’m back. And I love the blog more than ever – and you, dear readers, I love you too.* I love it when I hear from people who already dig Bulgaria, people who are thinking of moving here, people who are working towards their dream of moving here, and even people who have nothing to do with Bulgaria, they just stumbled on the blog and it made them chuckle. Thank you. I love hearing from you guys. I’m needy like that. Love me.

Anyway, I can’t keep up the daily blogging pace, obviously. (Not unless you will accept one-word posts? Monday: courgette. Tuesday: donkey. Wednesday: fuck. And so on… No? Could be fun?) I have bills to pay and three cats to feed. But I can guarantee I will blog more often than I did in 2014.

*Not in that way, you pervs. I love you like a dear friend that I’ve never met who knows far too much about my life and who, thankfully, lives a safe distance away.


(Unless you are John Cusack or Kyle Chandler, in which case I do love you that way.)