A lazy, list-based post today.
Reasons to move to Bulgaria:
· Property is very cheap. Seriously, check out property prices on http://www.offbeatbulgaria.eu/.
· It’s a really beautiful country with the Black Sea coast and dramatic mountains.
· Less time working and more time for us. We can truly indulge our Good Life fantasies without worrying about money!
· It’s only 3 hours from home.
· It’s in the EU but the currency is not the Euro!
· It borders beautiful Greece and Turkey, so we get a similar climate and food but without the higher property prices (and riots).
· You can get a train from Sofia to Istanbul, one of our most favourite cities, for less than £20. Or, a 4-5 hour drive from our house and we could be sipping Retsina on the Greek coast.
· Bulgarian wine is lovely.
· We will have the time to do all those things we talk about but never actually do: writing, painting, learning a language (erm, compulsory), learning to play a musical instrument.
· There are no chavs in Bulgaria.
· No more listening to other people’s music on public transport.
· Proper hot summers.
· No more dreaming of white Christmases, we’ll be knee deep in snow!
And the downside is:
· The language. It’s just not coming easily to us!
· It’s 3 hours from home. I know ‘it’s only 3 hours from home’ was listed as one of the positives but, on homesick days, that will feel like a long way.
That's it. I’m not brilliant at maths but I'm pretty sure the number of positives outweigh the negatives.