HEAD TO THE NEW AUNTIE BULGARIA SITE

My photo
AUNTIE BULGARIA NOW HAS A PROUD NEW HOME AT www.auntiebulgaria.com. PLEASE HEAD THERE FOR ALL THE AUNTIE BULGARIA CONTENT, OLD AND NEW.

Tuesday 10 September 2013

73. Ten things we've eaten next door for breakfast


Our neighbours are our surrogate Bulgarian parents. We love them, they make a big old fuss of us, and we have coffee with them most mornings. Trouble is, they are such feeders. If I should dare turn down a second slice of cake or pie, Svilen shouts at me and makes Rob eat something to compensate.

Also, we watched High Fidelity again last night* and it got me in the mood for making lists.

So, top ten things we have eaten next door for breakfast. In order of weirdness (whereby 1 is a perfectly normal thing to have with coffee at breakfast time, and 10 is really very weird indeed).

Go!
  1. Biscuits.
  2. Banitsa. A Bulgarian cheesy filo pastry pie. It’s amazing and perfect at any time of day, but common for breakfast.
  3. Melon.
  4. A hot crème caramel pudding. Much as I like puddings, there are certain things that shouldn’t be eaten before 9am. It’s an unwritten dessert-based watershed. Am I right?
  5. Mini jacket potatoes with feta cheese. These are delicious…but can I come back and eat them at 5pm?
  6. Sugary, cheesy pasta with croutons.
  7. Gruel. Actually not that weird…if you’re a Victorian urchin.
  8. BBQ ribs. See number 5.
  9. Chips and grapes.
  10. Yorkshire pudding.

*I heart John Cusack. In fact…bonus list: Top 5 John Cusack movies.
  1. High Fidelity.
  2. The Sure Thing.
  3. Grosse Pointe Blank.
  4. Say Anything.
  5. Con Air. And I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise.