HEAD TO THE NEW AUNTIE BULGARIA SITE

My photo
AUNTIE BULGARIA NOW HAS A PROUD NEW HOME AT www.auntiebulgaria.com. PLEASE HEAD THERE FOR ALL THE AUNTIE BULGARIA CONTENT, OLD AND NEW.

Monday 27 February 2017

128. Goodbye, February

Gawd, I’m still cringing about that Oscar screw-up this morning. How awkward was that? One of the benefits of getting up so early in the morning (yes, we’re still doing that) is being awake for the last few awards of the night, the big ones. But I really wish I hadn’t seen that. Poor La La Land. Poor Moonlight. Aargh!

Here’s what else is happening as we say ta-ta to February:

Lambs
The neighbours have three baby lambs: two white and one completely black apart from a little white patch on its head. Look at how cute they are. They like to shake their tails at their mama, like cats do at their humans. It’s so cute to watch. Marvel at how cute they are. CUTE, CUTE, CUTE.





Weather
We had a bit more snow last week but it looks like winter is properly over now. Friday it was 17°C. Whichever bureaucrat is in charge of the weather here has obviously remembered to flick the switch marked ‘spring’, and away we go.

Cats
The cats refuse to accept that spring is here and are still sitting on top of the fridge, generally looking sulky and refusing to go out. This is a typical expression from Pepper, who can't decide who she hates more: me or her brother.



Jägermeister
The other day, the neighbour was telling us about this ‘medicine liquor’ she’s been taking for her blood pressure. Then she got out a bottle of Jägermeister. Apparently, a capful of Jäger a day is good for your heart. I’m doubtful, but I respect the whole ‘mama needs her medicine’ vibe. If I was going to make up a ‘medicine’ for my many (imagined) ailments, I’d choose a gin and tonic, or a White Russian. And I’d make it a rule that my ‘medicine’ had to be taken at 4pm sharp every day*, with snacks, while lounging on the sofa.

*For best results, repeat at 5pm and 6pm.

Gardening bore
Not much happening in the garden so far, apart from us walking around it and sighing about how many weeds there are already and how much there is to do.

We dug up the last of the parsnips and I turned them into a huge parsnip risotto, made with parsnip stock, parsnip puree and pan-fried chunks of parsnip. And I made a rocket pesto to go on top. Risotto is one of my favourite quick meals but this bastard took me most of Sunday afternoon to make. If it sounds like I have too much time on my hands, you’re probably right.

We’ve just sown seeds for sweet peas, snapdragons and tomatoes, but have been holding off on others because we were waiting to see if the weather would change, again. We’re growing six varieties of tomato this year, which is only slightly scaled back from the seven-variety monster glut of 2016. We will never learn.